First blog post

Graphic Design student.

Exploring possibilities
through never ending sleepless nights
of creating and experimenting
the visual beauty of communication.




No Monday Class Punishment Post


Writing this in the comfort of my cozy bed and almost a week of no personal contact from professors! Woohoo.

Last week I did some research and looked at different brand manuals. I started to create grids and layouts. I later realized that creating content first works better. Since I could just change and rearranged the content to what my layout is.

These are some brand manuals that I looked at for reference.

To get to the point, I am enjoying working from home and have been productive in my perspective. These past days I worked on a couple of spreads. Specifically the Logo content and guideline in how to use it. My partner and I also finalized the color build composition that we wanted for our store.

The group worked on the mission statement, and that took a while since we did a lot of revisions and write what our shop really provides. My next worries are to create image-based content and produce mockups of how we could use our brand.




Announcement Making

New Terms:

Substrate: the material being printed upon
Tint: is substracting ink or color
Shade: is the added percentage of ink
channel: color of different compositions of CMYK
Clipping path: proper way of cropping into a specific shape

We finally touched on some specific Print based details and information. Our project is to make an announcement card that is only black and white/substrate. A one color print job that would inform the invites what, where and when is our shop about.

I learned how to manage content and files that are needed to be sent to the print shop. First is dealing with a  CMYK file. All files must be set for printing thus the CMYK build. Images should be 300dpi. Only AI, PSD, EPS files should be used when in InDesign. Labeling is important in organization and navigation. Properly using vector shapes and not stacking colors on top of each other.

Basically, that process was an overload of information. There were so many things to consider and adjust in order to work in the real world. But it was a good project and the pressure of learning those little details had an effective way of implanting into our brain. Can’t promise I’ll never make a mistake but at least I learned the basics of printing and the complexity and dangers it entails.






Phase 2 (Week 2-3) – Conceptualizing – logo making

It’s interesting to work in collaboration, you have to learn and work together as well as adapt to your group mates. This week we conceptualized and tried to collectively agree on a theme and concept. There was a brainstorming of restaurant names until we reach the conclusion of using In Jest.

After this, we started gathering visuals for our store. One of the important things I learned was to have logical reasons for our choices. The colors, the material, products, and services all had to make sense together and meet the brief


The next week, the interior students in my group were advised to address the Jest in In Jest. That meant that we needed to go funny or incorporate funny in our concept. That made sense and we did not put that in thought, the problem was that we had to scrape off most of our previous ideas. So in the end, we chose to just change the name stick to the standing concept. We then decided on the name Qolony. Like a colony of beings working together since that’s mainly the concept of our store.

I learned that we must weigh our options: pros and cons when we decide what can work better. Value a professor’s suggestion but at the same time find solutions to the problem.



Phase 1 – Storefronts

The field trip to Lagoona Mall.

We were tasked to analyzed different storefront and get the overall feel of how they used branding elements.

Ted Baker merged the Victorian era and modernism for their theme. It came off as a clean, elegant and whimsical store. Their products are not for the day to day grub clothes but posh and almost majesty-like.  For the design concept, I believe that they succeeded in branding. They use elements subtly from the Victorian age like the brick walls and the upholstery and lights. But made it look modern by using glass and metal for the furniture in their shop, and by the typeface for the logo. Warm and earthy colors were used for the shop to be more approachable especially with their kind of products.

51 East is looked very spacious and modern. They had a couple stores, that’s supposed to sell a lifestyle. It like the west influencing an Islamic concept. It came off as a high end and intimidating store where only the elite can shop, this is in contrast to Ted Baker wherein it was warm and welcoming despite not being your regular jean shop. I think the overall use of elements was not successful. It was not showcasing their image in a good light. Instead, it felt excluding and unapproachable.

Branding is the identity of a store. It includes the logo, the tagline, the theme, the color scheme, the feeling that you get when entering a store. I learned on this trip, that branding is used in order to elevate the products. It is also used to persuade the audience to believe the message this shop conveys. I learned that there has to be intentionality in elements to attain the concept.